
This was a quieter day, spent a few hours wandering the shops. Bought some very nice art – my first major purchase is an 80-100 year old Zulu “marriage” mask. It smells like smoke from a bonfire, it’s wonderful, and I’m in love with it! Bought a few smaller items as well for folks back home. The weather was brutal hot today, so it was like the city just fell into a kind of slow motion. But I had fun looking at all the art work, more sculptures than one could ever possibly look at, it was pretty overwhelming. In the evening the four of us went out for a nice dinner at an African restaurant called Nyoni’s Kraal. LOTS of things on the menu we had never seen before, it was very fun. Jane is largely a vegetarian, although from time to time she does supplement with some meat – she decided tonight was the night. But when our order came, we realized was a massive platter of BBQ’d meat it was!! Poor Jane, I think we freaked her out completely! In any event, I think she’s had her fill of dead animal for a while. We ordered the Emzantsi Platter to start and the Braai Vleis (Assorted) Platter for our main (all meat!) dinner!
No comments:
Post a Comment