




photos: the "table cloth" of the Mountain starts to spill over this afternoon; all other scenes from Mama Africa & a picture of MA's dinner!
PHOTO NOTE: Now uploading photos to the Flickr site (see link on the right hand site of this page), so you can check out all out pics to date, more coming every day!
PHOTO NOTE: Now uploading photos to the Flickr site (see link on the right hand site of this page), so you can check out all out pics to date, more coming every day!
Okay, we found Karl & Jane, they made it into town safely last night. We have checked into our Manhattan Loft place (its HUGE), and we are all lying about, melting from the mid-day heat. Had lunch and cheap beer at the Village Lodge together (they have these misting machines on their veranda, wonderful). We'll be off to Table Mountain soon. Its 3:30 pm now, and the "table cloth" signature clouds have just appeared and are spilling over the top of Table Mountain as I write this, they are incredibly fast, its quite cool.
We attempted to go up Table Mountain, but we headed out too late, and the tourist office was closed and so we couldn’t find out if and when the shuttle up to the cable car was still running. A task for another day this week. Instead we wandered up Long Street, lots of shops, and bards and restaurants. It was a visual overload, I will take some more photos later on and post them so you can see what I mean…no shortage of subject matter there!
We went out for dinner at Mama Africa, very funky place on the equally wild and funky Long Street. I guess this is the place you have to here for African food and ambiance, and great music from a local band. Food was great, we sat at the bar and ended up chatting to a guy from Durban – I think the Canadian accent confuses them, we are getting a lot of puzzled looks when we try and explain something or ask a question, it’s pretty funny. I had great fun inside, using to slow shutter speeds on my camera to try and get interior shots in a very dark place without having to use the flash. Without a tripod, had to prop the camera on the bar, etc., but I think some of the effects are pretty cool. You can check out the full series on the Flickr site. I had Cape Malay Bobotie, which is sort of like a sherperd's pie, but with spices and fruit and made with ground ostrich...WOW, excellent!
Got a taxi back (which is what is advised here after the sun goes down, not to walk anywhere), but our driver was just moved from Jo-Burg, so had no CLUE where he was going, so we ended up having to give HIM instructions, Had a big laugh for that one…
We went out for dinner at Mama Africa, very funky place on the equally wild and funky Long Street. I guess this is the place you have to here for African food and ambiance, and great music from a local band. Food was great, we sat at the bar and ended up chatting to a guy from Durban – I think the Canadian accent confuses them, we are getting a lot of puzzled looks when we try and explain something or ask a question, it’s pretty funny. I had great fun inside, using to slow shutter speeds on my camera to try and get interior shots in a very dark place without having to use the flash. Without a tripod, had to prop the camera on the bar, etc., but I think some of the effects are pretty cool. You can check out the full series on the Flickr site. I had Cape Malay Bobotie, which is sort of like a sherperd's pie, but with spices and fruit and made with ground ostrich...WOW, excellent!
Got a taxi back (which is what is advised here after the sun goes down, not to walk anywhere), but our driver was just moved from Jo-Burg, so had no CLUE where he was going, so we ended up having to give HIM instructions, Had a big laugh for that one…
1 comment:
So beautiful! We are all envious back here,I can guarantee you that. Keep the photos coming, I'm drooling! sandra xo
Post a Comment