Another day of transfers and travel mostly. We traveled back from Sun City to Joburg, courtesy of the charter plane again. Nice way to travel, although I am not a huge fan, as the turbulence is fairly constant and my stomach doesn’t take too kindly to it. But I took two of their version of gravol, and was OK (which was great, as to not embarrass Steve with his colleagues by puking on the plane!). We spent a few hours in JoBurg airport, and then caught a 6pm flight to Cape Town, which is only a two hour jaunt. Were served a full (free) bar service and dinner, which as we know, is a long-time-gone perk on Canadian airlines. We were completely (and pleasantly) shocked.Had my first glimpse of a township area from the ride on the highway, although hard to see much in the dark. At first I thought I was looking at an industrial area, or a large wrecking yard, run down fencing. After a while you notice that there are rows and rows of clapboard/metal shacks, with light coming from them, which means they are homes. As much as you see photos, I was still surprised at the state of them, little more than tin shacks, dirt roads. Steve and I had a long talk tonight about it all, the dichotomy – but even though we’ve barely been here any time at all, I think that is what defines this place, the absolute stunning physical beauty, with a tragic past, hopeful future, and yet still, so many challenges. I so want to learn and see more, can’t wait…
We are staying at a little inn called the Village Lodge in the de Waterkaant district right downtown, very historic area, gorgeous house, small streets, reminds me of San Fran (from what I can see in the dark). They have a vietnamese restaurant, which was very quiet tonight, so we enjoyed a drink and I have a very yummy bowl of coconut, ginger, chicken soup. We’re up on the roof now, great views all around and a plunge pool up here (also trying to scam a free ride on a neighbour’s wireless as the hotel rate is ferocious). Gorgeous view of Table Mountain, which they light up with big spotlights, another surprise. They just turned out the light in the past few minutes, as the clock struck 12 midnight. All great landmarks must go to bed too, I guess.




No comments:
Post a Comment